Re: post-release package update policy

>When I read the debian release, I became very excited because I thought
>the following was true:  You would have a stable release which could be
>upgraded from x.y to x.y+1 _without_ major upheavals.  What I have been
>witnessing on this list is very similar to the way slackware operates.
>Not good!

Personally, I see this in a rather different light... For me, if I
have release x.y and x.y+1 comes out, I don't see any particular
compelling reason to do an upgrade, since the entire time since x.y
has been out I have been upgrading packages as required or as I have
spare time, as the case may be... And that way I don't have to wait
for a new 'release' to come out... (IMHO, Slackware releases are just
too far behind the times when released)

Rich
(Who gets frustrated because he works with a bunch of people that
don't see any particular problem with having to completely reinstall
OSes for small changes)

--
Richard W Kaszeta 			Graduate Student
kaszeta@me.umn.edu			University of MN, ME Dept