Re: post-release package update policy

>When I read the debian release, I became very excited because I thought
>the following was true:  You would have a stable release which could be
>upgraded from x.y to x.y+1 _without_ major upheavals.  What I have been
>witnessing on this list is very similar to the way slackware operates.
>Not good!

I think your missing a small point here.  Debian makes it extremely easy
to upgrade from "package-x.y" to "package-x.y+1".  I do it all the time
and and absolutely in awe of these guys for the wonderful design work they
did to make it possible.

The discussion is about a "release of packages".  There is little problem
with staying on the "latest" stream of released packages, but it is
generally felt that periodically a group of latest (or near-latest) packages
be frozen that anybody could install from scratch and be assured of it
working.  This release would also become the cd-rom release, etc.  From
there, users could upgrade packages constantly from the "latest" directory
or just when a new release is frozen.  Again, it's not necessary, but
it would be convienient.

                                        Brian
                                 ( bcwhite@bnr.ca )