Re: dpkg Selective Install

> A better solution is, I think, firstly to use a mechanism I propose to
> add to dpkg to have it selectively not install certain files (those
> matching a list of wildcards in a configuration file somewhere).
> Secondly, if you install a link in /usr/local/sbin called install-info
> pointing to /bin/true suddenly all the problems with install-info
> vanish :-).
>
> Do people think this is so gross a hack that we shouldn't recommend it
> to people who don't want to install the info files ?

Yes.  I'd rather only give users a well defined, limited set of
classes of files to not install (eg. man pages, info files, examples,
etc.).  The install/remove scripts should then be modified to handle
these cases.

The ability to use wildcards to specify which files to not install
could be kept but should clearly labeled for expert use only and a
warning that it may cause problems.

David