Re: dpkg Selective Install

Guido M. Witmond writes:

>I think it's quite nessecary to install the info files, manual pages
>and perhaps other info to prevent RTFM-type of errors. Debian should
>be hairy enough to be usable by the novice.

Consider e.g. someone who just wants an X terminal or ten.  Minimal
maintenance will be necessary; they're probably going to have all the
documentation somewhere anyway, and have better things to do with time
and disc space than install a few megabytes of documentation.  (OK
disc space is cheap today; but it's still not free.)

Suppose you sell someone a Debian-installed PC to act as their web
sever.  If they're completely non-technical they'll not need any of
the docs - they don't want to deal with problems themselves, they'll
just get on the phone to you; if something has gone wrong the chances
are you'll log in over the net to fix it, and have all the
documentation you need available locally.

If one is going to use Debian as Debian then obviously one needs all
the documentation available.  But that's not the only application.

--
Richard Kettlewell  richard@uk.geeks.org  http://www.elmail.co.uk/staff/richard/