Re: Debian vs. BOGUS

Karl Eichwalder writes:
>... "richard" == Richard Kettlewell <richard@elmail.co.uk> writes:
>
>>    Bruce> The location of the source,
>
>richard> What does this gain?
>
>People ask in newsgroups, where to get the program xxx; I want to check
>-- before reporting a bug -- whether there is a newer version of program
>xxx...

Sure; but why does that mean it has to be in the output from dpkg?
Why is it not sufficient to look it up in the package's copyright
file?  If someone wants a package they should probably try the
Debianised version first, and will therefore have the information
sitting on their hard disc.  If they know enough to know that they
want a more recent or otherwise unDebianised version then they should
know enough to use archie, or perhaps offer to take up maintenance of
the package (in some cases).

>richard> What if the instructions for
>richard> getting it are more complex than just an ftp URL?
>
>Put the source together and store the created tar.gz on a FTP server.

We already do this on ftp.debian.org, modulo Debianising diffs.  Are
you suggesting we do this for upstream sources as well?

>I don't like such side effects.

I do.

--
Richard Kettlewell