Re: Debian vs. BOGUS

Karl Eichwalder writes:

>    Bruce> The location of the source, the author's name, etc., is
>    Bruce> supposed to be stated in the debian.README file, which is
>    Bruce> placed in /usr/doc/copyright/<package-name>
>
>I would like to see it in the database.  `dpkg' should be able to
>display information like this.  Thanks, Karl.

What does this gain?

What if a package is a combination of several `upstream' packages,
each with its own set of authors?  What if the instructions for
getting it are more complex than just an ftp URL?  There's quite a lot
of thought needs to go into coming up with a sufficiently general
syntax for this, which is probably necessary if it's being produced as
program output.

Users will only need to track down the source rarely; in such cases
they will also need to be aware of the copyright status of the
package; therefore the current system not only seems to me to be
perfectly adequate but furthermore has desirable side effects.

--
Richard Kettlewell
<richard@elmail.co.uk>                   http://www.elmail.co.uk/staff/richard/