Re: Debian vs. BOGUS

> People ask in newsgroups, where to get the program xxx; I want to check
> -- before reporting a bug -- whether there is a newer version of program
> xxx...

I don't think we can say that most people do or don't feel the same
way you do (I do, but I know some who don't).  I imagine that if we
are targeting CDROM users as a large group, most of them won't care.

> BOGUS has:
>
> [a list much like the LSM]

Ugh.  This has update problems.  Say the following scenerio happens:

	Package FOO_BAR is a non-linux specific package.  It
	is a really cool package and somebody builds if for Debian
	using release 1.0.  Well, a month later the author radically
	changes say, the network code, or Linus does the same.  The
	author replaces 1.0 with 2.0 and gets rid of 1.0.

This _does_ happen sometimes.  And I would not want to be stuck
without source to the only copy of FOO_BAR (a really great program)
that works under Linux...

I would prefer only uploading the stock source and diff myself, but I
can see where the others want a source that will build clean under
Debian -- and produce a .deb package.

> I don't like such side effects.

Not much point in making these comments... :)

Jim