dselect .70 install and background

I ran into the following problem:

running dselect:
Access: directory /usr/local/debian/binary  - check
        packages file  /usr/local/debian/binary/Packages  - check
Update: 238 packages updated
Select: Here some problems started. Some packages on the list were
older than the ones installed, eg, e2fsprogs0.5b-2 on the list and rev
4 installed.
Install: The newer installed pagackes were *not* replaced by dpkg with
there older counterparts, that's great. But with Bash it went wrong.
Dpkg had a new version of /etc/profile so it gave me the change to
decide which version i wanted to use. I chose the Z-suspend option to
examine the files but here dselect went haywire. It came back with the
menu with the cursor positioned on the Configure option.
The process list showed a suspended dpkg.

In order to recover I had quit dselect and used a kill -CONT <pid> to
restart the dpkg. It did ask about some config-file conflicts but
didn't wait for me to type, I think it had lost its tty-input somehow.

Is there something i did wrong?
Shouldn't I do a suspend in dpkg when started from dselect?
Could dselect just fork of a new shell instead of suspending itself?

By the way, i started dselect with: user@host % sudo dselect
And both mine and roots login shells are the tcsh.

Thanks, Guido