Strange machine activity

I installed debian 0.91 over the weekend, and I was quite impressed, having
last tried to install 0.81. I did notice some unusual activity that made
me curious. When I logged into my machine yesterday, I noticed that it
was working away at something. When I did a ps -x, it showed me a bunch
of new processes, having to do with makewhatis. When I returned later,
I found that the system had run out of memory, and I had to reboot. Can
someone tell me what the machine was supposed to be doing? According to the
install utility, I coulkd run makewhatis at a later time, but I wasn't
expecting my computer to decide when.

--
Andrew Reynolds | Reynolds@ug.cs.dal.ca Reynolds@ac.dal.ca | "400=400"
Dalhousie ????? | "Friends don't let friends use MS-DOS."  | -L. Rolston, 1992