A few questions for everyone

In your message of Tue, 15 Feb 1994 02:56:00 PST, you write:
+---------------
| >/var/spool/mail should be mode 1777 root.mail.  (Note the sticky bit.)  This
| >is the recommended permission for RMAIL (or at least it was in Emacs 18) to
| >work.
|
| This is false.  /var/spool/mail should be 2775 (or perhaps 0775) and
| group owner mail.  Anything that needs to access (lock) mailboxes
| needs to be sgid mail.

Well, there's what RMS recommends and what everyone else recommends.  I know
of several attacks myself, but I also remember a sizeable flamewar when RMS
"defended" his choice against all comers...

MH "inc" is sgid mail and suid root (the latter for RPOP).  I did find and fix
a bug in the interaction of the two options.

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery	   kf8nh@kf8nh.ampr.org		 bsa@kf8nh.wariat.org
"MSDOS didn't get as bad as it is overnight -- it took over ten years