Re: Latex/Tex / dpkg remark

> > > I will also think some sort of /usr/opt layout for these big packages
> > > is highly warranted, otherwise the /usr partition will just keep on
> > > growing.
> >
> > On solaris /opt is for local packages, sounds an awfull lot /usr/local
> > to me.

As I understand it, Solaris /opt is not really /usr/local.  It's the
place where they throw any optional packages which come from Sun (or
presumably a third party) as binaries, installed with pkgadd (or
something like that).  Things will be put into it during system
installation (if you install any optional packages off the CD), during
later upgrades, and during installation of third party software.
Sounds, to me, like a poorly thought-out idea, as it mixes software
that needs to get replaced on OS upgrade with software that doesn't.
Let's *not* emulate Solaris in this respect.

--
 /~> Ian McCloghrie      |       FLUG:  FurryMUCK Linux User's Group
< <  /~\ |~\ |~> |  | <~ | email: ian@ucsd.edu               Net/2, USL 0!