Re: Ispell (answer and plea)

> James A. Robinson asks:
>  > I notice that ispell does not work under Emacs in v.91 BETA of Debian,
>  > is this because of an incorrect ispell.el (GNU ispell.el, while the
>  > binary is the International ispell)?
>
> The ispell package as originally contributed by me (for .81) contained
> the `international' /usr/lib/emacs/site-lisp/ispell.el such that Emacs
> *should* grab it before its internal (GNU, i.e., wrong) ispell.el.  If
> something has gone wrong with this as you seem to suggest then you may
> very well be right.
>
> Unfortunately I have no PC no more :-( and can't check it.
>
> Therefore this question (plea, really :-):
>
> Will anyone take over the Ispell source package now that Ispell 3.1 is
> out?  Ian has my complete sources for 3.0.09; I will be glad to answer
> any questions about it.

Well, I took a look in site-lisp, and this was what I found:
	1) Two ispell files, one called ispell.el.gz, one
	   called ispell.elc, I assume the elc was compiled from
	   the compressed one.

	2) The ispell.el.gz said this:

	;;; Spelling correction interface for GNU EMACS "ispell"
	;;; $Id: ispell.el,v 2.19 1992/01/10 10:54:08 geoff Exp $
	;;;

	3) This is the error I get in the emacs buffer:

	   "Autoloading failed to define function ispell"

Number two stumps me, is it the international version interface?

Jim