Re: A few minor points

Ian McCloghrie <imcclogh@cs.ucsd.edu> writes:

> I use ext2fs on floppies all the time.  It would be nice if mount
> could automagically figure out what kind of fs it was, but I don't
> know if there are any "magic numbers" on a dosfs floppy so that
> might not be possible.

It would be nice, but I don't even know why you would want to use the
ext2fs.  I once used the ext2fs until I discovered how much more space
was available when the Minix fs was used instead.  Most of the
performance features of ext2fs just aren't needed on floppies either.

Actually, when you think about it, I probably use DOS fs on floppies
just as often as Minix.  DOS floppies are also readable on our Suns
(and on everything else for that matter).  While I'm at it, does
anyone know if a fsck for DOS filesystems exists?

>>> The default values for "make" variables  CC=cc ( should be gcc), YACC=yacc
>>> (should be bison -y) etc...
>>
>> Agreed.
> No, /usr/bin/cc -> /usr/bin/gcc, /usr/bin/yacc -> /usr/bin/bison.
> This way the make defaults work *and* explicit listings in other
> makefiles.
>
> Besides, what if someone installs byacc as /usr/bin/yacc?  They're
> going to expect that make will use it by default.

Yes.  I suggest symlinks so that the difference is noticeable to users
(as I think I once said about /bin/sh -> /bin/bash).  Ian Murdock
seems to disagree about this one.  :-)

Dan

--
Daniel Quinlan  <quinlan@spectrum.cs.bucknell.edu>