TeX

I'm building this same batch of stuff even as I write this on my hpux
system at work.  The first think I'd point out is the default for
installing binaries is /usr/local/bin.  No, thank you.  There's
already enough in /usr/local/bin!

You will need to edit Makefile.in in both Web2C and kpathsea to change
CFLAGS.  I can't find any other way to use -O2 instead of -g.

I needed to set TEXINPUTS before dumping plain tex.  I don't
understand why.

Except for /usr/local/bin I used the defaults, which puts everything
in /usr/local/lib/texmf.  Fine with me.  I don't know about you, but I
hate uppercase letters in common path names.