Re: tipp für die art der datensicherung

Salve Malte!

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005, Malte Schirmacher wrote:

> ich bin jemand der sehr gerne einfach aufs geratewohl hinaus ausprobiert,
> und eher weniger gerne ließt (ok, bei windoof hat diese taktik noch
> funktioniert, bei linux stelle ich fest klappts immer weniger gut :))

Bitte jetzt nicht persönlich verstehen, aber ein
Datensicherungsstrategie besteht aus

- Systemdesign (welche Software verwende ich)
- Systempflege (Kontrolle der Logfiles)
- Hardware (redudatente Datenspeicherung)
- Adminknowhow
- Userknowhow

Für Bauern und die Dünngung des Feldes gilt die Faßregel,
es gibt verschiedene Nährstoffe, die man als Seitenwände
eines Fasses verstehen kann - dann ist der Maximale Ertrag
für eine Feldfrucht durch das niedrigste Seitenbrett
beschränkt - die anderen Bretter zu erhöhen ist nahezu
wirkungslos.

Bei Dir geht es genauer um "Systemsicherung" um etwas verkonfigurieren
zu können und dann wieder ein sauberes System zu haben.
Dazu könntest Du eines Linuxsystem parallel installieren um Dein
Hauptsystem zu backupen und zu recovern zu können.

Eine Datensicherung ist _immer_ eine gute Idee.

In diesem Fall muß ich Dir aber sagen, das "weniger gerne liest"
_keine_ gute Idee ist - effizienter ist es das man

- von jedem configfile eine sicherheitskopie anlegt und diese
  eindeutig beschriftet
- jede Änderung in einem conifgfile mit Datum und eventuell Uhrzeit
  sowie zusätzlichen Informtationen kommentiert
- als Admin und als User ein "Logfile" pflegt, indem man jede
  Veränderung Protokolliert und für den Anfang auch mitnotiert
  woher man die Informationen hatte
- Gute "Tricks" in einem File/Verzeichnis zusätzlich sammelt.

Leider ist diese Baz Luhrman song "etwas" schwierig zu "singen",
aber IMHO ist es mit Abstand der coolste IT filk Song:

--snipp--

   Original song Everyone's Free (to use sunscreen)
   Original artist Baz Luhrman
   Filk author [8]John Rudd
   Intro (note: no one should take this as being specifically about any
   particular group of people at any job, past or present. It's based on
   not just my general experiences, but on the experiences of several
   friends. You can find a copy of this at:
   http://www.cygnus.com/~jrudd/sysadmin-sunscreen.txt )

   This parody is dedicated to past coworkers, lost and lamented.

                 Everyone's Free (to document their system)

   If I could offer you one tip for the future, documentation would be
   it. The long term benefits of a well documented system, with FAQs,
   RFCs, and man pages, have been proven time and again by systems
   administrators everywhere, whereas the rest of my advice has no basis
   more reliable than my own miserable experience... I will dispense this
   advice now

   Enjoy and appreciate the well behaved and polite users. Oh, nevermind,
   by the time you figure out who the well behaved and polite users are,
   you'll have wasted all of your available time on the ones who are not.
   But believe me, in 20 years you'll look back at photos of some users
   and recall in a way you can't grasp now, how much time and energy you
   wasted on those other whiners.

   Do not worry about system failures; or worry, but know that worrying
   is as effective as trying to get users to save often and pay attention
   to warning messages. The real system failures are often caused by
   things you were completely aware of but were unable to fix due to
   political or budgetary constraints, until the CEO can't read his email
   at 8am on some Monday morning.

   Do one thing everyday that scares your users.

   Sleep

   Do not be reckless with system security. Do not tolerate those who
   are.

   Eat

   Don't waste your time on user complaints. Sometimes they're happy,
   sometimes they're not. Their rants are long, and in the end, no one
   really wants to hear them but themselves.

   Remember the compliments. Forget the insults. If you suceed in
   shutting them up, tell me how.

   Keep your joke emails. Throw away the company announcements.

   Play

   Do not feel guilty if you don't have a plan for your processes. The
   best sysadmin's I know didn't have time to make one, and most of us
   never do.

   Do plenty of backups.

   Be kind to your CFO, you'll miss him when he's gone.

   Maybe you'll upgrade, maybe you wont. Maybe you'll centralize, maybe
   you wont. Maybe you'll switch architectures to some new chip. Maybe
   you'll dance on the smashed bits of some legacy computer you finnaly
   retire. Whatever you do, don't throw away the system backups -- you're
   half likely to need them again, and so is everybody else.

   Enjoy your system. Use it every chance you can. Don't be afraid of it,
   or what people think of it. You'll remember it fondly long after it is
   out grown.

   Read the README's, even if you don't follow them.

   Do NOT read PC gossip magazines, they will only make you STUPID.

   Get to know your support-reps, you never know when you might need one.
   Be nice to your coworkers; they're your best support system when
   things crash, and the most likely to help you restore a filesystem.

   Understand that coworkers come and go, except for the precious few you
   manage to hold on to. Work hard to bridge the gaps between
   departments, because the older you get, the more you'll need their
   support in political battles.

   Work at a start-up once, but leave before it burns you out. Work for
   the government once, but leave before it makes you a pencil pusher.

   Accept certain inalieable truths. Disk use will rise, managers will
   make unreasonable schedules, and you too will get old waiting for
   compiles. And when you do, you'll fantasize that when you were young,
   people made do with tiny disks and slow systems, managers were
   reasonable, and users respected their sysadmins.

   Respect your fellow sysadmins.

   Don't expect anyone else to support you. Maybe you'll be able to trust
   a certain few users, maybe some will be former sysadmins too; but you
   never know when either will make a mistake and say they didn't do
   anything but hit return.

   Don't mess too much with Sendmail, or by the time you're 40, you'll
   have no hair.

   Be careful whose documentation you read, but be patient with those who
   actually bother to write it. Documentation is a form of context;
   writing it is a way of preserving information about how your system
   works, detailing the ugly parts, and proving what it's worth.

   Trust me on the documentation.

--snapp--
 http://www.poppyfields.net/filks/00281.html

 Warum dokumentieren was, man macht? Erstens lernt man dabei, indem man
 nocheinmal kurz niederschreibt was man gemacht hat und wenn man ein
 (neues) Problem "erzeugt" kann man (nur so) den Dingen auf den Grund
 gehen und verstehen warum etwas nicht geht.
 Schreiben und Lesen - wissen was man tut ist bei GNU/Linux nicht nur
 möglich (imgegensatz zu Windows) und nicht nur eine Stärke sondern
 _die_ Grundlage für ein funktionierendes System.

Alternativ kann man auch ein Debian per Koppixhddinstall.sh erzeugen
und nichts verändern bis das die nächste Koppixversion herauskommt.

Also nicht nur bei Systemen mit mehreren Administratoren, oder eins
welches man erst nach 2 Jahren wieder anpackt, sondern schon nach
einpaar Stunden macht es sich bezahlt von jedem config File, welches
man verändert hat
- ein program-config.org (für z.b. Original)
- für verschiedene Versionen ein Backup im Verzeichnis zu haben:
  program-config.rob-running-with-different-colour-03.2005
_und_ in den einzelnen Configs kommentieren was man wann verändert hat.

Und zum Bearbeiten von Conifg Files empfehle ich vim! Zumindest aber
ein Editor mit vergleichbaren Syntax Highlighting.

Tip, Du wolltest einen Editor um mit der Maus Copy und Past
durchzuführen mit vim kann man per ! einen Shell command ausführen,
obriges filk song Zitat habe ich per
! lynx -dump  http://www.poppyfields.net/filks/00281.html
eingefügt.
Wenn man nicht die ganze Webseite einfügen wollte, könnte man auch
per pipe ein grep (option '-m 1' für nur den ersten Treffer) benutzen:

! lynx -dump http://www.pro-linux.de/news/2004/6568.html |
grep -A 3 -m 1 {

backup() {
test -e $1 && cp $1 $1_`date +%y%m%d` ||
 echo $1: No such file or directory;
}

vim kann sehr sehr viel und ist daher sehr mächtig und komfortabel -
einwenig Lußt zu lesen und zu lernen vorrausgesetzt. UND mit vim
erstelle ich dank mutt mails, erstelle Webforumsartikel (mit elinks
STRG-T) (SCNR)

Also viel Spaß beim Probieren & Dokumentieren *g*

Gruß
rob

PS: Wenn man möchte kann man ASPELL oder ISPELL mit vim benutzen,
was ich demnächst machen werde - damit meine Flüchtigkeitsfehler
nicht auf die Liste kommen - bei Deinen Postings wäre eine Benutzung
der Shift Taste immerhin ein ANFANG!