Re: XFree86 4 & No screens

[Markus Schiefer]:

> * Am 10.02.2002 um 00:21 Uhr schrieb Sascha:
>
> > *g* habe ich gemacht und dabei kam das Log raus das man im Anhang
> > findet :o(
>
> Da steht's doch:
>
> | Fatal server error:
> | could not open default font 'fixed'
>
> Abgesehen davon, daß Deine Maus nicht gefunden wurde, fehlen Dir
> elementare Schriftarten. Hab' leider gerade kein Potato zur Hand,
> aber IIRC sollten die Schriften in xfonts-base zu finden sein.

Das hat mich an einen Thread in devel erinnert.

<1 *****>
[snip]
I've resolved all the major problems I've had upgrading my laptop from
Potato to Woody. Here is a short report:

apt-get dist-upgrade

does a pretty good job, but there are several packages that disapear
even though they have valid and useful replacement candidates. It isn't
clear to me just what apt-get needs to make this work, but it currently
doesn't cope very well.

Examples:
[snip]
xfonts-100dpi and xfonts-75dpi: are removed, but their replacement
package, xfonts-base, is not installed. This causes the "fixed" fonts to
not be found. Some form of server dependency would fix this one.
</1 *****>

<2 *****>
[snip]
> My current question is: How much of this is going to be fixed in the final
> release, and how much should I discuss in my book?

Tell people to upgrade using dselect with the apt method and I bet
things will be a lot more smooth.
[snip]
</2 *****>

<3 *****>
> What! You mean there's something that dselect can do that apt-get can't ;-)

Yes, because they are written for diffferent purposes and do different
things.. apt-get ignores recommends which are quite essential on such
upgrades since a bunch of package got split up and you will find
yourself suddenly missings things.

> Seriously, as many people, myself included, like the command line
> simplicity of apt-get dist-upgrade, and there are other tools that seem to
> get it right, it seems the better part of valor is to fix apt-get so it
> works as well as possible...

apt-get was written as a simple commandline tool to libapt, not as the
ultimate way to handle complex situations for which you need an
interactive UI to make some choices. That's also why it does not
bother with Recommends or Suggests.

What you want is dselect or any other frontend (aptitude, deity,
gnome-apt, etc.).
[snip]
</3 *****>

Aus eigener Erfahrung kann ich nur waermstens empfehlen, bei Problemen
dselect aufzurufen und nach seiner Meinung zu befragen.

Fuer die Neuen etwas praeziser:

Als root dselect aufrufen, den Balken auf [S]elect stellen, <Enter>,
<Leertaste>. Herz festhalten und nochmal <Enter>. Wenn das Hauptmenue
wieder erscheint, Gratulation, dselect hat nichts anzumeckern. Falls
nicht... nachdenken, falls Zeit gebraucht wird, <X>. Dann hat man den
status quo ante.

cu
--
hafi