Re: ioctl: Operation not permitted

On Wed, Apr 18, 2001 at 05:19:12PM +0200, Janto Trappe wrote:

Ich muss gestehen dass es auf der Homepage (das manual hab ich
nicht) von beep eine Erklaerung fuer das Problem gibt. Ich dachte
halt das es an mir liegt und hab nicht gleich nach geguckt. ;)

---8<---

A note about ioctl
------------------

As noted in the man page, some users are running into a situation
where beep dies with a complaint from ioctl().  The reason for this,
as Peter Tirsek was nice enough to point out to me, stems from how the
kernel handles beep's attempt to poke at (for non-programmers: ioctl
is a sort of catch-all function that lets you poke at things that have
no other predefined poking-at mechanism) the tty, which is how it beeps.
The short story is, the kernel checks that either:

- you are the superuser
- you own the current tty

What this means is that root can always make beep work (to the best
of my knowledge!), and that any local user can make beep work, BUT a
non-root remote user cannot use beep in it's natural state.  What's
worse, an xterm, or other x-session counts, as far as the kernel is
concerned, as 'remote', so beep won't work from a non-priviledged xterm
either.  I had originally chalked this up to a bug, but there's actually
nothing I can do about it, and it really is a Good Thing that the kernel
does things this way.  There is also a solution.

---8<---

Die einzige Moeglichkeit waere also wirklich beep suid root zu
starten.

Janto

--
Janto Trappe    Germany     /* rapelcgrq znvy cersreerq! */
GnuPG-Key:      http://www.sylence.de/gpgkey.asc