Re: [Debian]:bind-update: MX auf CNAME

Hallo Ingolf!

Ingolf Schuchardt schrieb am Montag, den 20. Dezember 1999:

> > Dabei ist mir aufgefallen, dass ein MX auf ein CNAME (was man
> > allerdings ja auch nicht machen sollte) jetzt dazu fuehrt, dass der
> warum sollte man das denn eigentlich nicht machen ?

Siehe angehaengte Sendmail-FAQ

> > Naja, aber vielleicht "erzieht" das die Leute ja ... ;-)
> falls es aber objetive gruende gibt dies so nicht zu tun werde ich gerne
> meine config abaendern

http://www.sendmail.org/faq/section4.html#4.1
-------
Q4.1 -- Should I use a wildcard MX for my domain?

Date: July 9, 1996
Updated: November 5, 1997

If at all possible, no.

Wildcard MX records have lots of semantic "gotcha"s. For example, they
will match a host "unknown.your.domain" -- if you don't explicitly
test for unknown hosts in your domain, you will get "MX list for hostname
points back to hostname" or "config error: mail loops back to myself".

See RFCs 1535, 1536, and 1912 (updates RFC 1537) for more detail and
other related (or common) problems. See also _DNS and BIND_ by Albitz
and Liu.

They can also cause your system to add your domain to outgoing FQDNs
in a desperate attempt to get the mail to where it's supposed to go,
but because *.your.domain is valid due to the wildcard MX, delivery to
not.real.domain.your.domain will get dumped on you, and you may even
find yourself in a loop as the domain keeps getting tacked on time after
time after time (the "config error: mail loops back to myself" problem).

Wildcard MX records are just a bad idea, plain and simple. They don't
work the way you'd expect, and virtually no one gets them right. Avoid
them at all costs.
-----

Frohe Weihnachten und einen guten Rutsch ins neue Jahr!

Tschuess ...
--
     Thomas Kobienia <tk@informatik.tu-cottbus.de>
Wir haben was inpeto. http://www.dex.de/