Re: More install problems under Ultra10 and tftp...

jeffh@premier1.net writes:

> I get to the point where it asks for a kernel (where you would reinsert
> the rescue floppy) and I can't find the right files in the tftp image.

I don't get this.  Use the files tftpboot.img or tftpboot-2.2.1.img
depending on whether you need to 2.0 or 2.2 kernels.  Ultras need the
2.2 kernels.

Then you have to put those in /boot (depending on how you setup tftpd)
and then rename it (or hard link it, as I did) so that it matches the
filename which openprom asks for during 'net boot'.  A system for
naming these is explained in the sparc install manual
<URL:http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/> -- you can also just
monitor your tftpd server's logs to see what file the client is asking
for and then rename it that way.

> "Okay," I tell myself, "just make a disk and do it that way."  Well the
> disk comes back as "Wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on
> /dev/fd0"  I try to do a "boot floppy" from OpenBoot and get "bad magic
> number in disk label."

What machine are you trying to boot?  I know my Ultra5 just doesn't
have the capability to boot from floppies, period!

SPARC bootable CDs should be cheap and plentiful, too.