Re: tex-common package bug in launchpad

On Mo, 09 Jul 2012, Angel Guzman Maeso wrote:
> This is not a constructive response, specially with a RTFM. But I will try
> ignore the tone.

I stand by it and increase it: You not even read the *fu**ing
TERMINAL OUTPUT!!!!

Have you seen this very very obvious message in your terminal log:
----------
Running updmap-sys. This may take some time...
updmap-sys failed. Output has been stored in
/tmp/updmap.idTSe5TP
Please include this file if you report a bug.

Sometimes, not accepting conffile updates in /etc/texmf/updmap.d
causes updmap-sys to fail. Please check for files with extension
.dpkg-dist or .ucf-dist in this directory
---------------------

So *what* should we do???? Carry *ADMINISTRATORS* of this computer
on our hands, if they not even read?!?!?!?

> all the manuals. I install/update packages everyday, I cannot read all the
> manuals.

Nobody asky you to read *ALL* the manuals, but to read the terminal
output and the manuals or at least man page of the program that
broke!!! Is that too much?

A *NORMAL* way of behaviour would be:
- ah, something is broken, let us read the terminal output
- sooo, I should read /tmp/updmap.idTSe5TP
- (.... reading ...)
- there is a message that the ual.map is not found, interesting,
  I remember myself having added that, so it was me who broke that
- let us read about who to deal wit map files,
	man updmap

If you still not know what to do, *THEN* please ask politely here
for help. Thats it.

Is this *sooooo* complicated? Are you expecting developers who
spent there free time to cover up your incapabilities?

> If I have to touch system things for just use a arial font on a document,
> then something it is break deeply for the user.

That is only because *YOU* don't know how to do it.

> This can be achieved without mpm, because updmap-sys fails with other stuff
> and break easily on updates.

Becasue mpm did mess up your system, that is the whole point.

I give you another exampl:
	rm -rf /etc
breaks your system, definitely (DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!)
Is this the fault of 'rm' ????

> ERROR: The following map file(s) couldn't be found:
>  ua1.map (in /etc/texmf/web2c/updmap.cfg)
> Do you want continue (Y=Yes/N=No):

Ugg, well, go ahead and provide code in a third party script
(updmap) that does that. THen interface it with Debian, handle
the debconf pain.

No, if something is broken it is broken and it has to be fixed,
in one way or the other. updmap and tex-common is right to break.

> I think that this could save a lot complains.

And break a lot of documents and systems.

Might be the Ubuntu way, but not my (and I guess not Debian) way.

Enjoy

HAPPLE (vb.)
To annoy people by finishing their sentences for them and then telling
them what they really meant to say.