Re: Install problem on ubuntu 7.04

Frank Küster wrote:
Bob van der Poel <bob@mellowood.ca> wrote:

Frank Küster wrote:

Maybe you should rather ask this on the Ubuntu TeX list, or submit a bug
via launchpad.  But the usual steps to debug this are independent of the
distro:  As root, run

kpsewhich --format='web2c files' fmtutil.cnf
grep mpost `kpsewhich --format='web2c files' fmtutil.cnf`
grep mpost /etc/texmf/fmt.d/*
root@Mellowood:~# kpsewhich --format='web2c files' fmtutil.cnf
/etc/texmf/web2c/fmtutil.cnf

 .. and, I just checked the file and it's there and is an ordinary
file. All files in /etc/texmf are owned by root ... but I'd doing all
this as root so it should be fine?

No, this file shouldn't exist.  Did you add any formats there or make
other changes?  If not, just move it out of the way, and all should be
fine.  If yes, make the changes to files in /etc/texmf/fmt.d (read
/usr/share/tex-common/TeX-on-Debian.* for more info), after that the
configuring should work.

Regards, Frank

Thanks for the help. I deleted /etc/texmf/web2c/fmtutil.cnf and all works! I have no idea why this file was created ... it certainly wasn't something that I did. Oh well, fixed is good. Thanks again.

EMAIL: bob@mellowood.ca
WWW:   http://www.mellowood.ca