Re: texlive and asymptote

On 8/22/07, Ralf Stubner <ralf.stubner@web.de> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 22, 2007 at 01:07 +0200, Michele B. wrote:
>
> > I am sorry if this is not the right place to post but I dont know
> > where else I should post it. I am using texlive 2007-11 from the
> > repositories. Just updated two days ago all texlive. When I pdftex my
> > texfile with included some asymptote environments it generates a wrong
> > *.asy file I guess. This is the beginning of the generated asy file:
>
> Can you please provide us with a minimal example file. I just tried
> latexusage.tex that comes with asymptote, and that works with both
> latex and pdflatex.

Sure, sorry. I noticed another thing but I dont know if it might be
useful. The latex and pdflatex and pdftex are all links to
/usr/bin/pdftex. Dont know if that is normal. Here is an example latex
file which gives the same error:

\documentclass[a4paper,twoside]{book}
\usepackage{ngerman}
\usepackage[latin 1]{inputenc}
\usepackage[pdftex]{graphicx}
\usepackage{graphics}
\usepackage{amsmath}
\usepackage{url}
\usepackage{asymptote}
\usepackage{array}
\usepackage{longtable}
\usepackage{listings}
\usepackage{hyperref}
\begin{document}
\begin{asy}
size(6cm,6cm);

draw((1,0)--(0,1));
draw((1,0)--(1,1));
\end{asy}
\end{document}

and this is the asy file generated:

access settings;
if(!settings.multipleView)
 settings.batchView=false;
settings.tex=pp\immediate \write \sixt@@n {ngerman: "pp is now
obsolete, please use ppp instead on input line 46.}\penalty \@M
\discretionary {-}{}{}\penalty \@M \hskip \z@skip dflatex\errhelp {Use
`` for a simple double quote character.}\errmessage {ngerman: The
command "; is undefined}``;

// Beginning of Asymptote Figure 1
eval(quote{
defaultfilename='testfile_1';

size(6cm,6cm);

draw((1,0)--(0,1));
draw((1,0)--(1,1));
});
// End of Asymptote Figure 1

> > access settings;
> > if(!settings.multipleView)
> >  settings.batchView=false;
> > settings.tex=pp\immediate \write \sixt@@n {ngerman: "pp is now
> > obsolete, please use ppp instead on input line 46.}\penalty \@M
> > \discretionary {-}{}{}\penalty \@M \hskip \z@skip dflatex\errhelp {Use
> > `` for a simple double quote character.}\errmessage {ngerman: The
> > command "; is undefined}``;
> >
> > // Beginning of Asymptote Figure 1
> > eval(quote{
> > defaultfilename='notes_1';
> >
> > size(6cm,6cm);
> >
> > draw((1,0)--(0,1));
> >
> > I guess the value of settings.tex is set to some output of an error.
> > Dont know if related to some buggy ngerman package or something else.
> > I changed it to "settings.tex="pdftex";" and it works.
> > And another thing. My pdftex can't generate by using the command
> > "pdftex -output-format dvi testfile.tex" a dvi file. it generates
> > always a pdf file.
>
> That might well be related. Do you explicitly set \pdfoutput in the
> tex file? Do you have any tests wrt latex vs pdflatex in your file?

The example file provided doesn't have any pdfoutput explicitly set.
What about the tests? I dont really understand the question. Maybe the
sourcecode provided can answer the question.

best regards

Michele