RFH: Debiandoc SGML (debiandoc-sgml) and UTF-8 transition

Hi,

This is call for help for DebianDOC SGML infrastructure update to cope
with new UTF-8 environment for lenny. (Especially for PS and PDF
output.)

The volunteer should have some understandings on:

 * SGML
 * perl
 * POSIX shell
 * encoding (traditional, UTF-8)
 * LaTeX (if possible latex-cjk-* knowledge)
 * Basic Debian packaging

But before all these technicalities, one need to have time, patience and
willingness to learn new things. (That is the only thing I had when I
took care this package initially.)

There are many key Debian documentations which still use DebianDOC SGML
so this is needed functionality unless everyone moves to DocBook XML
quickly.

Please note I have already added XML conversion functionalities to
current debiandoc-sgml so user can convert their document to XML.  With
help from  iconv and vim, you can convert document relatively easy as
W. Martin Borgert showed us for developer-reference.

Since this tool chain comes from old days, this is not UTF-8 friendly.
Also recent texlive move seems to have broke Korean build.

I know this Korean situation is possibly fixed by changing package to
use: hfont->CJK. ( debiandoc-sgml:
 /usr/share/perl5/DebianDoc_SGML/Locale/ko_KR.eucKR/LaTeX
 'before begin document' => '\\usepackage{CJK}')

But the generated PS/PDF file can not be seen properly under UTF-8
easily.  I guess there is a better way to accommodate these PS or PDF to
display properly in UTF-8.  This encoding issue is true for all other
packages.

It is easy to change this tool to produce UTF-8 for text and HTML while
converting source file but backward compatibility of the tool will be
the issue.  So the best solution is to make this tool switchable.

For me, I am not so interested to make such extensive work  on this
package.  My future work will use DocBook XML with UTF-8, po4a.

So anyone is willing to work on this, please let me know.

Osamu

PS: The source is:
XS-Vcs-Cvs: anonymous@cvs.alioth.debian.org:/cvsroot/debiandoc-sgml debiandoc-sgml
XS-Vcs-Browser: http://alioth.debian.org/plugins/scmcvs/cvsweb.php/debiandoc-sgml/?cvsroot=debiandoc-sgml