Re: Issues with and after upgrade to texlive

(not sure if I should Cc you...)

Frans Pop <elendil@planet.nl> wrote:

> It seems that .tfm files are now only generated in /tmp, which means that
> they are lost whenever a system is rebooted and have to be regenerated.

This is presumably because $HOME/.texmf-var/ is not writable.
/tmp/texfonts is a failover for this case, that is used on buildds, but
it is not used on "normal" installations.

> Is this change intentional?

Yes, this was done so because it was considered that writing font data
to /var was a security concern, due to the fact that mere users could
use this mechanism to fill /var. I'm not terribly convinced by this
argument, since you can do the same with log files, but that was the
consensus when the decision was taken, and people were more confortable
with the new setup.

> Can the location of these generated files be configured somehow?

Yes. All this is documented here:

  file:///usr/share/doc/tex-common/TeX-on-Debian.html/ch2.html#s2.5

--
Florent