Re: Permission scheme: Real world test needed

On Die, 14 Feb 2006, Frank Küster wrote:
> >   if [ $PERMS = 3775 ] ; then
> >     db_set tex-common/managecache true || true
> >     db_set tex-common/groupname "$GROUP" || true
> >   else
> >     db_set tex-common/managecache false || true
> >   fi
> >
> > Most people WONT have 3775, so it will always show NO as default.
> > Then most people will just enter (or are above low so not get asked
> > anyway).
> > So most people stay in the old scheme.
> > So we get many bugs?
> >
> > Suggestion: Always set it to true?
>
> If it doesn't get too complicated, we can also do it like this:
>
> - check whether the question has already been seen.  If yes, only set to
>   true if $PERMS = 3755

It cannot be seen already, it is a new question. And we cannot use
managedlsr as it is a completely different question.

I would say something similar like this:

> - If no, also set to true if the permissions match previous install
>   defaults (currently a sid upgraded from sarge is 1777, and I'll look
>   up others soon).

If the current permissions are either 3775 or 1777, then set the question
to true otherwise false. In both cases change it to 3775.

QUALL (vb.)
To speak with the voice of one who requires another to do something
for them.
			--- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff