Re: Permission scheme: Real world test needed

> But what do you say to this:
>   PERMS=$(stat --format="%a" /var/cache/fonts)
>   GROUP=$(stat --format="%G" /var/cache/fonts)
>   if [ $PERMS = 3775 ] ; then
>     db_set tex-common/managecache true || true
>     db_set tex-common/groupname "$GROUP" || true
>   else
>     db_set tex-common/managecache false || true
>   fi
>
> Most people WONT have 3775, so it will always show NO as default.
> Then most people will just enter (or are above low so not get asked
> anyway).
> So most people stay in the old scheme.
> So we get many bugs?
>
> Suggestion: Always set it to true?

If it doesn't get too complicated, we can also do it like this:

- check whether the question has already been seen.  If yes, only set to
  true if $PERMS = 3755

- If no, also set to true if the permissions match previous install
  defaults (currently a sid upgraded from sarge is 1777, and I'll look
  up others soon).

Debian Developer (teTeX)