Re: new lmodern package

Frank Küster wrote:
> Ralf Stubner <ralf.stubner@physik.uni-erlangen.de> wrote:
>
>> Norbert Preining wrote:
>>> I have adapted the package to include the links and the additional map.
>>> As usual, all is on
>>> 	deb(-src) http://www.tug.org/texlive/Debian/ lmodern/
>>> version still 0.99.3-1
>>
>> Still? You had 0.99.3-0.1 and 0.99.3-0.2 before.
>
> If it's ready for an upload - has anybody tested upgrading from sarge?

Not yet. But what 'sarge' do you mean? 'Real sarge' or 'sarge with teTeX
3.0'?

>> Well, I would at least include the (not activated) map file and a script
>> to create the links in TEXMFLOCAL. One could argue though, that one
>> should do only this /now/. Since people won't get sufficient warning
>> when using the old names, it might be better to let the system break and
>> tell them how to fix it. Opinions?
>
> I'd prefer to provide such a script, but that can be done when we
> actually drop the links.

Sure. What I would like to know is how you think about not providing the
links in the first place. This would break old DVI files, but recreating
them is the better solution anyway. It also does break ConTeXt, but with
ConTeXt one should update more regularly than teTeX does it. Only if
recreating the DVI file or updating  ConTeXt is not possible, the links
and additional map files come into play. We would provide a script for that.

I simply don't know if breaking a system in such a way is a good idea. I
don't want lots of complaints now, but I also prefer cleaner solutions
for the future ...

cheerio
ralf