Re: Using tetex and texlive simultaneously?

Dear Juhapekka!

On Sam, 17 Jun 2006, Juhapekka Tolvanen wrote:
> I already have teTeX installed in my Debian. Now I wonder this: Can I
> install also packages of TeX Live safely? If I do so, does my tetex use

Yes, you can. At least we hope. If you find any problems please report.
I have tested several combinations and it generally works without
problems.

Only one thing you should keep in mind: The default search order is
FIRST tetex THEN texlive. So if a package is in BOTH tetex and texlive,
the version from tetex is taken.

> them, when I compile my (La)TeX-docs? Which texlive-packages are usefull
> for tetex-users?

All packages which can be installed with tetex are probably usable.

> IIRC authors of TeX Live claim that TeX Live is compatible with teTeX.

Yes, I claim this ;-)

> The following packages will be REMOVED
>   latex-beamer latex-ucs latex-ucs-contrib latex-xcolor pgf
> The following NEW packages will be installed
>   texlive-common texlive-fonts-recommended texlive-latex-extra texlive-latex-recommended texlive-pictures
> 0 upgraded, 5 newly installed, 5 to remove and 227 not upgraded.
>
> As you can see, it do not try to remove any tetex-packages. But there

Yup.

> are some texlive-packages that explicitly conflict with tetex, for
> example texlive-base and texlive-base-bin . Some texlive-packages have

Of course, both tetex and texlive provide binaries as tex, pdfetex, mf,
omega etc. So we cannot share everything. But the macro packages should
be useable with both tetex and texlive.

But - especially if you install one of the texlive-lang-* packages -
read through the README.Debian, it may contain specific instructions for
this package.

So to sum it up: We tried to achieve optimal cooperation between tetex
and texlive (that is also why we have created tex-common package), and
some of us have also tested these combinations, but of course there are
open problems, please report!

BECCLES
The small bone buttons placed in bacon sandwiches by unemployed
guerrilla dentist.
			--- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff