Re: Braindump: Can we get rid of the font-cache-group question?

> mktexnam does not create .texmf-var and falls back to VARTEXFONTS if
> ~/.texmf-var does not exist.

Hm, but other directories are created if needed, e.g. TEXMFCONFIG,
aren't they?  So this seems inconsistent.

And isn't it much more probable that VARTEXFONTS is not writeable, than
that the user set MT_FEATUES to use TEXMFVAR and doesn't want it?

So why not suggest upstream (is that the TeXLive list or tex-k?  I guess
TeXLive) to change mktexnam?

Debian Developer (teTeX)