Re: Braindump: Can we get rid of the font-cache-group question?

Hi all!

On Mon, 22 Mai 2006, Ralf Stubner wrote:
> /usr/share/texmf-tetex/web2c/mktex.cnf
>
> ${MT_FEATURES=appendonlydir:varfonts}
>
> (probably similar for TeX Live). From what I read in TETEXDOC section
> 2.6, I think that we would be better off with
>
> ${MT_FEATURES=texmfvar}

> AFAIKT this would cause all created fonts to be written to TEXMFVAR,
> which is in the users HOME. This would work without the need for any

I have tested this setup,and it doesn't work: Problem:

mktexnam does not create .texmf-var and falls back to VARTEXFONTS if
~/.texmf-var does not exist.

So:
$ rm -rf .texmf-var
$ kpsewhich --expand-path='$TEXMFVAR'

$ mkdir .texmf-var
$ kpsewhich --expand-path='$TEXMFVAR'
/home/norbert/.texmf-var

and in mktexnam, which is called by mktexpk etc:
      # If the texmfvar option is set, use TEXMFVAR tree.
      # Some additional uglyness handles the case where $TEXMFVAR exists
      # but $TEXMFVAR/fonts doesn't (yet).
      if test "x$USE_TEXMFVAR" = x1; then
        : ${MT_TEXMFVAR=`kpsewhich --expand-path='$TEXMFVAR'`}
        MT_DESTROOT=$MT_TEXMFVAR/fonts
        if test -z "$MT_TEXMFVAR"; then
          # Path expansion of $TEXMFVAR was empty.
          FALLBACK=1

bang, if it does not exist -> FALLBACK = 1.

Other proposals ...

SYMOND'S YAT (n.)
The little spoonful inside the lid of a recently opened boiled egg.
			--- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff