Re: splitting fonts in two packages

Florent Rougon wrote:
> Ralf Stubner <ralf.stubner@web.de> wrote:
>
>> Actually I like the 'one package approach' as it is done by lmodern (or
>> mk-tex-fontpack), and this was no problem with X11R6, since the
>> dependencies of xutils were negligible, similar to tex-common. This has
>> changed with X11R7, though I haven't checked how large the dependencies
>> of xfonts-utils actually are.
>
> Also, it should be noted that lmodern being in one package is (well,
> was) a *feature*.

I meanwhile think it still s a feature. I haven't added everything up,
but it seems as if xfonts-utils + libfontenc1, libfreetype6, libxfont1
and xfonts-encodings is comparable to the old xutils. So while it might
look bad having to install all these libraries, there doesn't seem to be
much difference size wise.

Of course, one could dtill ask the X Strike Force to include the
update-fonts-* scripts in, eg, x11-common.

cheerio
ralf