Re: splitting fonts in two packages

On Thu, May 11, 2006 at 21:39 +0200, martin f krafft wrote:

> I am faced with the creation of a pair of packages for a font
> family. Clients should be able to install the fonts without excess
> dependencies, but fonts should be selectively available for X11 and
> LaTeX.

cm-super and cm-super-x11 provide something like this. Note that
cm-super has more dependcies than a normal font package would need. For
normal TeX font packages, tex-common is enough (and added by
dh_installtex).

>   1. provide the fonts in the x11 package and have the latex package
>      depend on the x11 package. This is not an option because an
>      xfonts package needs xutils, which pulls in a lot of X11, so if
>      only LaTeX support is wanted, X11 stuff has to be installed.

Hmm, cm-super-x11 in sid depends on xfonts-utils not xutils. But even
that has more dependencies than xutils in etch and sarge. I don't know
why this is the case, though. Maybe a bug in the packaging of the
modular X11?

>   2. provide the fonts in the latex package and make the x11 package
>      depend on it.

That's exactly what cm-super(-x11) do.

[...]
> For X support, I use an approach similar to the one taken by
> mk-tex-fontpack (from SVN): I am linking to /usr/share/fonts from
> under /usr/share/fonts/X11, then using dh_installxfonts.

How do you create the needed fonts.scale? Without that, dh_installxfonts
will do nothing IIRC.

> However,
> when I install the package, X does not see the fonts (xlsfonts). Since
> /usr/share/fonts is in the latex package, the links in the temporary
> debian build directory (debian/xfonts-myfont/) are dangling. So
> I suspect (but may be wrong) that the reason is that
> dh_installxfonts sees only dangling links and hence decides that it
> has nothing to do. Short of a hack that copies the files in place
> for the dh_installxfonts run, then deletes them again, what can
> I do?

I don't think the dangling links are a problem. At least in sarge,
dh_installxfonts doesn't look into the font directories.

cheerio
ralf