Re: splitting fonts in two packages

On Fri, May 12, 2006 at 00:11 +0200, martin f krafft wrote:

> mkfontscale, but I am unsure where to put it. in
> usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1 or under /etc/X11/fonts/X11R7/Type1

I haven't checked the new policy, but it wouldn't make much sense to
place it in /usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1, since in there only .pfb and
.afm files from different packages as well as /one/ fonts.dir,
fonts.scale and fonts.alias should be placed. Extrapolating from the
current policy, I would assume that you have to place ${package}.scale
in /etc/X11/fonts/X11R7/Type1.

> > I don't think the dangling links are a problem. At least in sarge,
> > dh_installxfonts doesn't look into the font directories.
>
> It does in the current version:
>
>   my @fontdirs;
>   foreach my $parentdir ("$tmp/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/", "$tmp/usr/share/fonts/

I assume this line ends with 'X11/");'.

>     opendir DIR, $parentdir || next;
>     @fontdirs = grep { -d "$parentdir/$_" && !/^\./ } (readdir DIR);
>     closedir DIR;
>   }

I am not really good with perl, but to me this looks like
dh_installxfonts is looking for subdirectories like 'Type1' in both
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/ and /usr/share/fonts/X11/. But it does not
check whether the font files in, eg, /usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1 are
just dangling symlinks.

What files do you have in the resulting package? Again extrapolating
from the current situation, I would expect the following to work

* PFB and AFM files (or links) in /usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1/
* /etc/X11/fonts/X11R7/Type1/${package}.scale

In addition, the postinst should contain something like this:

# Automatically added by dh_installxfonts
if which update-fonts-dir >/dev/null 2>&1; then
        update-fonts-scale Type1;update-fonts-dir Type1
fi
# End automatically added section

Similar for the postrm. Due to this, the fonts should be mentioned in
/usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1/fonts.{dir,scale}. Is this the case?

cheerio
ralf