Re: Question for DD: TeX live upload to unstable?

Atsuhito Kohda <kohda@pm.tokushima-u.ac.jp> wrote:

>> I assume that we will get problems with ptex. I never tested to use it,
>> knowing nothing about it, but I know that ptex-bin fails to build from
>> source with teTeX-3.0, see #322387.
>
> I saw #322387 and found that ptex-bin package was obsolete.
>
> An upstream of pTeX already released ptex-src-3.1.9 which
> supported teTeX-3.0 (the current ptex-bin was based on
> ptex-src-3.1.5).
>
> So I assume that ptex will have no problem with teTeX-3.0 but
> I'm not sure if it has a problem with texlive or not.

Maybe no problems, but still some work.  Someone first needs to update
ptex-buildsupport (which is a stripped-down version of the tetex-bin
sources, installable as a binary package).

And then someone needs to take over ptex-bin - at least IMHO a major new
upstream version is nothing for an NMU, and it doesn't seem as if the
maintainer still had any interest in the package.

Debian Developer (teTeX)