Re: Question for DD: TeX live upload to unstable?

From: Norbert Preining <preining@logic.at>
Subject: Re: Question for DD: TeX live upload to unstable?
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 11:58:52 +0100

> > I suspect that texlive-lang-* have a similar problem (though
> > these might be more delicate...).
>
> ??? Again, I don't understand and don't see the problem. YOu can install
> *ALL* the language packages together, it gives you SUPPORT for this
> language, it is NOT a i18n package!

I see your intention now.  The description of texlive really
states clearly that "meta package pulling in all components of
TeX Live".  But is there no chance that we provide a meta
package which pulling not all but almost all components of
TeXlive, i.e. pulling only one of texlive-doc-* and one of
texlive-lang-* ?  This might be what a user wants in fact.

# sorry, I'd misunderstood Rogério's email as he was talking
# about texlive-doc-* so my former email was almost nonsense ;-)

> > For example texlive-lang-polish was installed automatically
> > and it conflicted with ptex (name of japanese TeX system)
> > packages.  This is not yet problem at present but will be a
> > problem in a near future, I guess.
>
> Umpf, why did I make ptex a conflict with texlive-lang-polish? Strange.
> It should probably go somewhere else.

Yes, it is reasonable.  Both polish latex and japanese ptex
use the same name "platex" so they cause conflicts sometimes.

BTW, (japanese) ptex means "P"ublishing (quality) TeX -> pTeX

> Concerning ptex: I have no idea wether this will work with TeXlive
> packages at all. Can someone inform me? Any idea? What is actually
> needed from a basic tex package for ptex to work?

I should investigate an issue before answering your question.
I don't know yet if ptex runs correctly under TeXlive or not.

I suspect only very basic part of TeXlive will be sufficient
for pTeX but not sure yet.

Regards,			2006-2-19(Sun)
 Atsuhito Kohda <kohda@debian.org>
 Department of Math., Univ. of Tokushima