Re: Font problems with pdflatex

Joerg Sommer <joerg@alea.gnuu.de> wrote:

> BTW: When should I call updmap and when updmap-sys?

Generally when administering the whole system, you should log on as
root, or become root with "su -" (i.e. make sure that your environment
is that for root, $HOME is /root, etc.).  And in this case, updmap-sys
(and fmtutil-sys and texconfig-sys) should be used.

Starting with teTeX-3.0, updmap, fmtutil and texconfig are for
user-specific configuration actions, and will drop their result files
below ~/.texmf-{config,var}/.

So what Hilmar adviced ("run updmap") was an error - we all aren't yet
completely used to using the new names.  And it should have had a
different effect than it had.  But since somehow your TEXMFVAR and
TEXMFCONFIG variables were set to /var/lib/texmf and /usr/share/texmf,
respectively, instead of $HOME/.texmf-{var,config} it worked.