Re: Font packages for teTeX

Frank Küster <frank@debian.org> writes:

> Ralf Stubner <ralf.stubner@physik.uni-erlangen.de> wrote:
>
>> I have therefore thought about building
>> .deb packages for some of the fonts I have installed. Some of them
>> (Utopia + Fourier, LuxiMono, Garamond No. 8) could even be distributed,
>> though they are not DFSG free. What would be a good starting place for
>> such packages? Maybe the lmodern package?
>
> I guess so; I have only once installed an additional font locally, once
> upon a time, and don't remember...  Is fontinst needed, or do you just
> take the files from CTAN?

Automating the generation of font metrics for TeX is a really difficult
task. And there are good arguments that it is not possible to do this
completly. So what I am aming at here is not this sort of automation.

There are, however, quite a few fonts plus metrics for TeX to be found
on CTAN. An easy way to install those would be useful. In addition,
there are font metrics for commercial fonts available. An easy way to
make a .deb from these metrics plus the actual fonts would be good.
Norbert's script lokks useful for this.

cheerio
ralf