updmap --enable (was: Error upgrading tetex-extra (experimental))

Christoph Bier <christoph.bier@web.de> wrote:

>> The --enable commands cannot be used in Debian (this still needs
>> changes to the code), but even in teTeX from source this is the wrong
>> approach AFAIK.  Either you use "sudo updmap-sys", or just "updmap".
>
> Section 2.5 »Using Postscript type 1 fonts«, page 10 in TETEXDOC:
>
> »o run the command texhash and then make the map file known to
>    updmap by running the command updmap --enable Map file.map (where
>    file.map denotes the filename of your map file)«

I know this, but there's no way to reconcile this approach with the
necessity of packages with add-on fonts to add their map files, and to
keep their configuration files on the system while they are removed, but
not purged.

We have decided to replace the code just with an error message saying
"don't do that", but even that hasn't been done yet;  later one could
imagine some more sophisticated code that would try to make the change
in a file in /etc/texmf/updmap.d/ instead of updmap.cfg, run
update-updmap and reexecute updmap.  But this isn't easy, since entries
can be in a number of files there.