Re: Error upgrading tetex-extra (experimental)

Christoph Bier <christoph.bier@web.de> wrote:

> First of all that's not the problem. I can use my own fonts by
> calling update-updmap and udpmap as user chris. But upgrading of
> tetex-extra fails because there are no more map files of my own
> fonts in /etc/texmf. (But how does TeX know about the map files it
> does not find?)

That is the interesting question.

> Secondly there is no updmap.d in $TEXMFHOME

Well, you have to create it if you want to use it.  You can also use any
other directory, e.g. put the files directly under ~/.texmf-config.

> and no updmap.cfg in $TEXMFHOME
>
> chris@lotus:~$ locate updmap.cfg
> /etc/texmf/updmap.cfg.dpkg-old
> /etc/texmf/updmap.cfg.postinst-bak
> /etc/texmf/updmap.d/00updmap.cfg
> /etc/texmf/updmap.d/00updmap.cfg.dpkg-old
> /etc/texmf/updmap.d/00updmap.cfg_keep-for-tetex-base
> /etc/texmf/updmap.d/00updmap.cfg~
> /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf-dist/web2c/updmap.cfg

I hope this TEXMF tree is not used when running Debian's teTeX?  What is
the output (as root) of

kpsewhich --expand-var='$TEXMF'

> . But I can use my fonts as user chris ... Maybe that's ok, then I
> misunderstand everything ;-).

If you can use the fonts which are installed somewhere below $HOME, but
have no updmap.cfg below $HOME, then something is amiss, and it's no
wonder that the postinst fails.

>> No, it cannot possibly automated.  First of all, I doubt that everybody
>> would like if root (who might well be a person with no Tex knowledge at
>> all) runs command in their home directories.
>
> With my teTeX 3.0 installation from source on my laptop I only had to
>
> 	sudo updmap --enable Map MinionPro.map
>
> and it was found in $HOMETEXMF.

The --enable commands cannot be used in Debian (this still needs
changes to the code), but even in teTeX from source this is the wrong
approach AFAIK.  Either you use "sudo updmap-sys", or just "updmap".

> Ok, but now upgrading of tetex-extra fails for all of those machines
> on which users organize their fonts in $TEXMFHOME. What should the
> admin do now, especially if he has no TeX experience at all?

I don't think that they fail if everything is set up properly, but I'm
not sure.

Let's find out, coming back to your first question:

> (But how does TeX know about the map files it
> does not find?)

Can you reserve one system where you don't make changes, so that we can
first investigate it in a given status - even if that means that it'll
take a little longer until you can use the fonts again on that machine?

To investigate, please save the attached file as updmap-sys-debug and
make it executable.  Then log in as root, or use "su -" to get root, and
then run

dpkg --configure -a 2>&1 | tee configure.lg
sh -x /usr/bin/update-updmap 2>&1 | tee update-updmap.lg
which updmap
which updmap-sys
./updmap-sys-debug 2>&1 | tee updmap.lg

And send us the resulting *lg files.

Vielen Dank für deine Geduld, Frank

#!/bin/sh

# updmap-sys: Thomas Esser, public domain.

v=`kpsewhich -var-value TEXMFSYSVAR`
c=`kpsewhich -var-value TEXMFSYSCONFIG`

TEXMFVAR="$v"
TEXMFCONFIG="$c"