Re: Error upgrading tetex-extra (experimental)

Frank Küster schrieb am 18.08.2005 14:43:

> Christoph Bier <christoph.bier@web.de> wrote:
>
>>Frank Küster schrieb am 18.08.2005 12:41:
>>
>>>Christoph Bier <christoph.bier@web.de> wrote:
>>
>>[...]
>>>
>>>If you have map files in TEXMFHOME, you can't have them
>>>referenced in /etc/texmf/updmap.d/.  You must use the mechanism
>>>provided by update-updmap's option --conf-dir and --output-file.
>>>This is only documented in "updmap --help".
>>
>>Which output file?
>
> update-updmap without options (and run by root) creates a site-wide
> updmap.cfg file in /var/lib/texmf/web2c/ out of the files in
> /etc/texmf/updmap.d/.  These files must not contain any references to
> map files outside the TEXMFSYS* trees.  This will give you a clean
> install without problems and a working TeX installation, but of course
> without the fonts in your home directory.
>
> update-updmap -c /home/chris/.texmf-config/updmap.d/ -o /home/chris/.texmf-var/web2c/updmap.cfg
>
> will take the files from /etc/texmf/updmap.d, except if there is a file
> of the same name in /home/chris/.texmf-config/updmap.d/ which takes
> precedence, plus any unique files in /home/chris/.texmf-config/updmap.d/
> and create /home/chris/.texmf-var/web2c/updmap.cfg from them.  After
> this, you can use updmap to create your user-specific font map files
> which enable MinionPro and friends.

First of all that's not the problem. I can use my own fonts by
calling update-updmap and udpmap as user chris. But upgrading of
tetex-extra fails because there are no more map files of my own
fonts in /etc/texmf. (But how does TeX know about the map files it
does not find?)

Secondly there is no updmap.d in $TEXMFHOME

root@lotus:~# updatedb
chris@lotus:~$ locate updmap.d
/etc/texmf/updmap.d
/etc/texmf/updmap.d/00updmap.cfg
/etc/texmf/updmap.d/00updmap.cfg.dpkg-old
/etc/texmf/updmap.d/00updmap.cfg_keep-for-tetex-base
/etc/texmf/updmap.d/00updmap.cfg~
/etc/texmf/updmap.d/10cm-super.cfg
/etc/texmf/updmap.d/10my-map.cfg
/etc/texmf/updmap.d/10my-map.cfg~
/etc/texmf/updmap.d/10tetex-base.cfg
/etc/texmf/updmap.d/20tetex-extra.cfg

and no updmap.cfg in $TEXMFHOME

chris@lotus:~$ locate updmap.cfg
/etc/texmf/updmap.cfg.dpkg-old
/etc/texmf/updmap.cfg.postinst-bak
/etc/texmf/updmap.d/00updmap.cfg
/etc/texmf/updmap.d/00updmap.cfg.dpkg-old
/etc/texmf/updmap.d/00updmap.cfg_keep-for-tetex-base
/etc/texmf/updmap.d/00updmap.cfg~
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf-dist/web2c/updmap.cfg
/usr/share/tex-common/00updmap.cfg
/usr/share/tex-common/00updmap.cfg.md5sum
/usr/share/texmf/web2c/updmap.cfg.old
/var/lib/texmf/web2c/updmap.cfg
/var/lib/texmf/web2c/updmap.cfg~

. But I can use my fonts as user chris ... Maybe that's ok, then I
misunderstand everything ;-).

> This is how it is supposed to work.
>
>>root@lotus:~# update-updmap -c /home/chris/.texmf-config/
>
> This takes all files matching /home/chris/.texmf-config/*.cfg in
> addition to the ones in /etc/texmf/updmap.d.
>
>>root@lotus:~# updmap
>>updmap: This is updmap, version 1107552857
>>updmap: using transcript file `/root/.texmf-var/web2c/updmap.log'
>>!!! ERROR! The map file `MinionPro.map' has not been found at all.
>
> This cannot work, since for root /home/chris/texmf or
> /home/chris/.texmf-config are no TEXMF trees, and the map files cannot
> be found.  You must run update-updmap and updmap as chris if you want to
> enable things in your home directory.  On the other hand, root should
> nearly always use updmap-sys.

Yes, sure, I know. But upgrading of tetex-extra still fails. If
that's ok, too, because my installation is bad I will not ask again.

>>>We should probably retitle this bug "Please update
>>>update-updmap's man page".
>>
>>I think it would be a good idea to inform the user about this
>>options if updmap (or installation) fails because of the above. Or
>>much better: can't it be automated? It's not that unusual to have
>>own fonts and related files in $TEXMFHOME.
>
> No, it cannot possibly automated.  First of all, I doubt that everybody
> would like if root (who might well be a person with no Tex knowledge at
> all) runs command in their home directories.

With my teTeX 3.0 installation from source on my laptop I only had to

	sudo updmap --enable Map MinionPro.map

and it was found in $HOMETEXMF.

> Second, if one user has
> messed up their TeX configuration, the complete postinst would fail,
> leaving TeX in a possibly unusable state for all users.  Or else we
> could turn errors in user directories into warnings - but then the admin
> would have to inform users about this (and the admin might have seen
> more severe warnings that he can't just file under "DAU error").  In the
> end, the user would not even notice that their setup is wrong.

Ok, but now upgrading of tetex-extra fails for all of those machines
on which users organize their fonts in $TEXMFHOME. What should the
admin do now, especially if he has no TeX experience at all?

Regards,
     Christoph
--
+++ Typografie-Regeln: http://www.zvisionwelt.de/typokurz.pdf (1.4)