Re: fonts in user home

Florent Rougon <f.rougon@free.fr> wrote:

> Frank Küster <frank@debian.org> wrote:
>
>> Given that it is quite unlikely that root will have his own
>> $TEXMFCONFIG, I prefer the id check.  For systems where a
>
> OK.
>
>> non-priviledged user has just enough rights to run update-updmap (and
>> updmap-sys), we can add an optional "--output-dir=..." parameter.
>
> Mmmm, do you really think this kind of thing is going to happen?

I am sure people will request it.  And in the long run, people will want
to use filesystems (and kernels) that even don't allow everything to
root, and need a special user for special maintenance purposes.
However, I think this is not relevant currently, and:

> Currently, update-updmap forces root:root and 644 mode for updmap.cfg,
> but in the setup you are describing, that shouldn't happen in
> system-wide mode (which is the only mode currently existing in
> update-updmap). We would have to somehow guess the correct
> permissions---I don't want to do that---or leave the 600 mode that
> mktemp chose (which would be bad for users).

I wasn't aware of the complications.  Let's just add the id check, and
people who want to run update-updmap as non-root users should use sudo.
So the check must be sudo-safe (I'm not really sure, but I think you can
still see from the environment of a sudo'ed command who actually is
calling it).

> Actually, I was thinking the other way round: crazy people really
> wanting to work as root, and therefore wanting the user-specific
> behavior or update-updmap (looking under $TEXMFCONFIG/updmap.d/ for
> additional .cfg files and writing, at least by default, to
> $TEXMFVAR/web2c/updmap.cfg[1]). For them, I could add a --user-specific
> option to override the id check, but maybe this is also too braindead to
> consider.

I wouldn't encourage people to work as root by adding such
possibilities, especially not when we have better things to do.

Gruß, Frank