fonts in user home

Hi,

I want to use the font Luximono with pdflatex. I've donwloaded the
contents of http://www.tug.org/tex-archive/fonts/LuxiMono/ and extracted
ul9.zip into ~/.texmf (my HOMETEXMF). The files .pfb and .afm I've put
into ~/.texmf/fonts/type1/public/luxi and ~/.texmf/fonts/afm/public/luxi
as said in README. After all I ran mktexlsr ~/.texmf.

But I still get the message

mktexpk: don't know how to create bitmap font for ul9b8r.

When I call updmap, it tried to access /var/, which fails for me as
simple user. Can I place these map files in my home or need to be root to
install this font?

Regards, Jörg.
--
Der Klügere gibt nach ....
...deshalb regieren die Dummen die Welt!