Re: fonts in user home

Florent Rougon <f.rougon@free.fr> wrote:

> Frank Küster <frank@debian.org> wrote:
>
>> Couldn't we also add a user version of update-updmap?
>
> Yes. That would not solve the problem of user-specific updmap.cfg and
> final map files becoming outdated after system-wide changes, but would
> simplify a bit the task of updating them.
>
> We have two options here:
>
>  1. Follow the teTeX trend, introducing update-updmap-sys; all packages
>     using update-updmap would have to be updated to use
>     update-updmap-sys.
>
>  2. Add an id() check as you included in one of the tetex tools already
>     (I don't remember which one), so that update-updmap acts differently
>     depending on whether it is run as root or as a simple user (with an
>     option to force user-specific behavior even when run as root).
>
> Do you have any preference?

Given that it is quite unlikely that root will have his own
$TEXMFCONFIG, I prefer the id check.  For systems where a
non-priviledged user has just enough rights to run update-updmap (and
updmap-sys), we can add an optional "--output-dir=..." parameter.

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster
Inst. f. Biochemie der Univ. Zürich