Re: Packaging (parts of) tetex-texmf-beta?

Frank Küster <frank@debian.org> wrote:

> I am thinking whether I should dedicate this afternoon to an updated
> tetex-base package, but I am not sure. I won't be able to do an other
> upload before this "freeze", should any bugs be introduced.
>
> Maybe it is better to stay conservative and instead concentrate to
> keep packages installable on sarge even when we further develop
> tetex-base in unstable. This could be achieved through a proper
> splitting, so that anybody can track tetex-latex (or the like) from
> unstable.

No, I won't do any fast updates here. This is more complicated than one
might think in the first place. For example, texmf/tex/latex contains
*.fd files and packages with low-level font commands, coming from the
same CTAN source directory as some files in texmf/fonts/. I do not think
we should mix an old fonts directory with new fd and $font.sty files,
without proper testing.

There's probably more.

Sorry, Debian users. We could have had this idea earlier; we could have
put less trust in Thomas Esser's announcements to release teTeX soon
after the spring LaTeX release, or whatever. But we didn't, and now I
think sarge will come with 2.0.2

Abt. Biophysikalische Chemie