Re: lmodern fonts and sarge

frank@kuesterei.ch (Frank Küster) wrote:

> Conflicts: lmodern and Provides: lmodern should be sufficient if there
> is no external part left (defoma etc.). If there is some non-TeX-related
> lmodern left, we have two options:
>
> - Conflict with lmodern <= X, and check whether it works in one upgrade
>   run

Yes, it does. I've just tested this:

- installed the following (dummy) packages:

    Package: foo
    Version: 1.0-1

  and

    Package: bar
    Version: 1.0-1

- "dselect update" with the following new packages available:

    Package: foo
    Version: 1.1-1
    Conflicts: bar (<< 1.1)

    Package: bar
    Version: 1.1-1

- "dselect select" -> nothing particular. The new versions are shown as
   available, but no dependency/conflict resolution screen appears.

- "dselect install":

 Reading Package Lists... Done
 Building Dependency Tree... Done
   bar foo
 2 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
 Need to get 3432B of archives.
 After unpacking 0B of additional disk space will be used.
 Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
 Get:1 copy: sid/binary-all/ bar 1.1-1 [1694B]
 Get:2 copy: sid/binary-all/ foo 1.1-1 [1738B]
 Fetched 3432B in 0s (0B/s)
 (Reading database ... 79983 files and directories currently installed.)
 Preparing to replace bar 1.0-1 (using .../apt/archives/bar_1.1-1_all.deb) ...
 Unpacking replacement bar ...
 Preparing to replace foo 1.0-1 (using .../apt/archives/foo_1.1-1_all.deb) ...
 Unpacking replacement foo ...
 Setting up bar (1.1-1) ...
 Setting up foo (1.1-1) ...
 Do you want to erase any previously downloaded .deb files? [Y/n]

All this on unstable with of course the apt method for dselect.
If you too want to play:

  deb http://people.via.ecp.fr/~flo/debian-experiments sid/binary-all/
  deb-src http://people.via.ecp.fr/~flo/debian-experiments sid/source/

> - make three lmodern packages out of the tetex-src:
>
>   * lmodern, a dummy package that only depends on the other two
>
>   * lmodern-tetex (or the like)
>
>   * lmodern-defoma (or the like)

Not sure this is a good idea. One of the two last packages would have to
contain the actual fonts... and the one that doesn't contain them would
probably find it difficult to register them with defoma. But I don't
think it is a problem. If defoma support can be added for the lmodern
fonts in the lmodern package, it can certainly be part of the tetex
packages once lmodern is in tetex.

> I do care, and you do care. But it won't help if you withdraw your
> package, because sooner or later somebody else will prepare one and make
> it publically available.

Quite. Regards,

--
Florent