Re: lmodern fonts and sarge

Florent Rougon <f.rougon@free.fr> wrote:

> If it appears that the consensus is that lmodern should not be included
> because it might cause problems to tetex packages, then so be it. Write
> it clearly and I'll ask for its removal before it reaches the archive,
> no problem.

I think that a properly made lmodern package should be in sarge, and I
am confident that we can manage the transition without big problems.

Conflicts: lmodern and Provides: lmodern should be sufficient if there
is no external part left (defoma etc.). If there is some non-TeX-related
lmodern left, we have two options:

- Conflict with lmodern <= X, and check whether it works in one upgrade
  run

- make three lmodern packages out of the tetex-src:

  * lmodern, a dummy package that only depends on the other two

  * lmodern-tetex (or the like)

  * lmodern-defoma (or the like)

  On a system with old lmodern, the tetex upgrade would also upgrade
  lmodern (Conflicts: lmodern <=X), and everything would go smooth.

> Users will of course need these fonts and they will install
> Michael's or my package from a non-Debian source, and run into more
> problems during upgrades because the tetex packages wouldn't have to add
> a Conflicts for a non official package, but who cares?

I do care, and you do care. But it won't help if you withdraw your
package, because sooner or later somebody else will prepare one and make
it publically available.

Abt. Biophysikalische Chemie