Re: test version of tetex-bin(update-texmf)

From: Christoph Martin <martin@uni-mainz.de>
Subject: Re: test version of tetex-bin(update-texmf)
Date: 13 Mar 2002 17:05:39 +0100

> Please consider that if we use texmf.d and update-texmf texconfig has to
> change the files in texmf.d and call update-texmf afterwards.

Is it only VARTEXFONTS menu which texconfig try to change
texmf.cnf?

If so perhaps texconfig should be changed so that it will
modify /etc/texmf/texmf.d/05TeXMF

I will investigate this later.

But if we use updatex-texmf then it might be, in a sense,
the policy that the modification of texmf.cnf should be
done through adding an appropriate file to /etc/texmf/texmf.d/

In case VARTEXFONTS, to add 00varfonts which looks

VARTEXFONTS = /some/where

and to run update-texmf might be the way to go.

I tested with the above file and got

civic:~$ kpsewhich --expand-var='$VARTEXFONTS'
/some/where

So only removing VARTEXFONTS menu from texconfig might
be alternative solution.

> Also the
> files in texmf.d can not be conffiles if they are files which texconfig
> would change.

This part is rather easy to achieve but makes the situation
a bit complicated and (possibly) fragile...

I wish to hear and idea of many of you.

Best regards,			2002.3.14

 Atsuhito Kohda <kohda@debian.org>
 Department of Math., Univ. of Tokushima