Re: Bug #92562, xmltex, & texmf.conf

Am Fre, 2002-03-08 um 02.08 schrieb Atsuhito Kohda:
> From: Atsuhito Kohda <kohda@pm.tokushima-u.ac.jp>
> Subject: Re: Bug #92562, xmltex, & texmf.conf
> Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2002 23:20:40 +0900
>
> > Thanks for your kindness.  Okay I will try it.
>
> Before I start to try it, I would like to hear opinion
> from members.
>
> Of course there are alternatives.
>
> One simple way is that tetex-bin generates texmf.cnf in
> postinst with e.g.,
> "cp /usr/share/doc/tetex-bin/examples/texmf.cnf /etc/texmf"
> or "echo real-contents /etc/texmf/texmf.cnf" or similar
> instead of shipping a real texmf.cnf in the package
> then texmf.cnf is not a conffile anymore so other packages
> can modify it safely (without violating the policy).
>
> The advantage will be simpler and so perhaps safer.
>
> The drawbacks might be that it could cause scattering of many
> variants of texmf.cnf

This is all true. It might be the simpler method. But it would be more
difficult to bring in changes later on. The we would need a tool like
apacheconfig that tries to fix all the settings that have changed etc.
and this is really difficult. If we do it with a script that just cat's
all part in eg. /etc/texmf/texmf.d we can ship the parts as conffiles
and we can change them easily. ...

But now there is another problem. texconfig still tries to change the
generated conffile which it should'nt . Hmm.

Perhaps it is really the best way to do it like you suggested.

Christoph