Re: New upload of the teTeX packages

On Sun, 25 Mar 2001, Masayuki Hatta wrote:

> > > o Added Japanese support to xdvi and dvips
>
> > BTW:
> > - What's wrong with the xdvik-ja package?
> > - It seems there was a dvipsk-ja package that is no longer in the archive.
> >   Does anyone know the history of this package?
>
> I don't know so much about xdvik-ja, sorry.  My first intension was to
> merge dvipsk-ja into tetex-bin.
>
> Now I maintains dvipsk-ja package in Debian JP.  AFAIK this package
> had never been a part of Debian itself(I may be wrong, since several
> people had been involved with this package before I took it over).

The copyright problems you mention below might be a reason for this.

> This version is based on dvipsk 5.78x, which was a stand alone version
> then(not a part of teTeX distribution).  5.78 is obviously obsolete,
> and I heard it can't be built on Alpha.
>
> Recently ASCII Corp. (a company which developed not only Japanese
> localized TeX called ASCII pTeX, but also this Japanese support patch
> for dvipsk) released new version of the patch under GPL(once it was
> under pretty restrictive license, but I convinced them to change it to
> DFSG-free one) and it is based on dvips 5.86x.  So now I need to use
> the tetex source to build dvipsk-ja.  That's why I think of merging
> the patch into tetex-bin.

It's possible to make a seperate *-ja package. Another idea would be to
get them included in the upstream versions of dvips and xdvi - note that
Thomas Esser (teTeX upstream) isn't upstream of these programs, he does
only include them in his teTeX distribution.

> BTW I can ITP the old dvipsk-ja 5.78 at any moment.  How do you think?

I think it would make more sense to package the current version or you'll
get bug reports about bugs in the old version of dvips.

cu
Adrian

--

Nicht weil die Dinge schwierig sind wagen wir sie nicht,
sondern weil wir sie nicht wagen sind sie schwierig.