Re: Debootstrapping Debian-testing from http://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/ and http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ fails -"faulty" package ifupdown_0.8.6_amd64.deb, no more file retrieval with apt-get install from inside chroot after base package retrieval

Hi Cindy,

thanks for your kind reply. Yes, you're positively right, debootstrap is a
fantastic installation tool (apt/dpkg as well). I mainly decided to set it
up for testing purposes. To be able to run more recent versions of
packages, packages that do not run on your current system, see how it's
like. Testing the testing version might be an option as well.

Here's the output
CHROOT-me@mymachine:/var/lib/apt/lists# ls -l

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   205127 Jan 12 02:59
debootstrap.invalid_dists_stretch_Release
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root     1554 Jan 12 02:59
debootstrap.invalid_dists_stretch_Release.gpg
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 37283681 Jan 12 02:24
debootstrap.invalid_dists_stretch_main_binary-amd64_Packages
-rw-r----- 1 root root        0 Jan 12 06:33 lock
drwx------ 2 _apt root       48 Jan 12 06:33 partial

I wonder why it is called "invalid_dists". There are those files you
mentioned. Simply deleting them without any documentation or information
might be a workaround, but first I'd like to understand why it failed, why
the same package, i.e. the network interface configuration tool ifupdown,
retrieved from two different debian servers is "faulty". It's something
about the init.d-script. Ah, now I know where I have to look at
tomorrow...the lintian tag descriptions!
And to know why the further retrieval of files after the base package
system did not work would be interesting, too.

Well, I will have another session of analyzing log and error files. I may
follow your advice to post it on the debian-user list. I couldn't find a
debootstrap mailing list, so it seemed to me that Debian-testing was the
appropriate place to ask and inform as it concerned stretch.

Kind regards

Stephan

Lörrach (Germany)

Hi, Stephan.. I just happened to have been in a debootstrap frame of
mind myself today. I'm used to it working with very little trouble so
all I can do is pretend I'm wearing your Shoes right now. I looked at
things like where your command ends ../debian/ and mine is ../debian.
That didn't make any difference, and I've since also seen that
trailing "/" in the online Wiki documentation.

I'm curious about where it seems to be pulling
http://debootstrap.invalid/pool/main/ out of its hat. That's the first
I've ever seen that. The "invalid" part is familiar as something
referenced within the debootstrap copy's hierarchy of
/var/lib/apt/lists. AND of course I just looked and can't find an
example in mine to share... as example. But I HAVE seen the word
"invalid" in there.. :)

Can you look in your copy's /var/lib/apt/lists, and see 1) how many
files are in there and 2) if any reference the word "invalid"?

THIS IS *NOT* a recommended method BUT... One of the things I have to
do with mine occasionally is go into that lists directory (*IN
DEBOOSTRAP'S COPY!*) and delete the two or three smaller files I find
in there. The ones I target for deletion are the ones that are under
~300kb in size.

It's just something I learned by trial and error via dialup access.
Those smaller files I delete occasionally are the "invalid" named
files. The reasons I run into for having to delete those smaller files
mostly involve errors regarding valid versus invalid release
signatures at the beginning of the debootstrap process...

My apologies that I don't have any more than that to offer. I LOVE
DEBOOTSTRAP, and my sessions go well.. If you're working on it in a
couple hours, I'll be back inside after finishing up some outside
evening chores. I'll be happy to take a deeper poke at the problem
then if no one else has any answers that work.

Also, you might try over at the Debian-User list. Fair warning is that
there's still not too many who go the deboostrap route (in case you
don't receive much response). I'm actually personally trying to change
that because it's a phenomenal accessibility/usability related Debian
installation tool for poverty level computer users.. :)

Cindy :)

--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* #RIP, Ian. Thank you and to all who contribute to Debian. It's a
Life-affecting, Life-enhancing resource and tool in my usage case. *